Friday, July 2, 2010

my little birdies....

Yesterday I discussed with my kids my desire to give them new nicknames. B is now Birdie and D is Vulture Baby. Allow me to explain...

About 2 weeks ago I was walking by a small tree and noticed a birds nest that had three beautiful blue Robin eggs inside. I made a mental note that I really wanted to get back there soon to take photos of the eggs. A few days past and I grabbed my camera and set out to the woods again. As I peeked in I was surprised to see that one of the eggs had hatched. Well, if you have ever seen a brand new baby Robin you will understand my desire NOT to take the photo. Baby Robins are not that cute when they are first born.....(Let me just say this is not the reason for the renicknaming of my children just in case you are starting to get concerned, they were adorable babies....)

So a few days later I thought maybe I would try to get pictures of the 3 baby birds in the nest. As I looked into the nest there was only one bird and no eggs. It made me sad to think of the poor Robin mother. The mother that was making terrible noises above me and swooping down trying to get me away from her remaining baby. I looked at the baby bird and decided it still needed to "ripen" a bit. It was mainly beak with a few crazy feathers - not really photo material. I thought I would come back in a few days.

That night as I lay in bed I was thinking about that little bird. About how I looked in that nest and his beak was WIDE open. Just waiting for his mom to come feed him. For his mom to give him Everything he was in need of. I was thinking that that is how our children are when they are born. Totally dependant on us.....And then - I began to think....now wait a minute this is still how my kids look....hhhmm....So as I was explaining it to B I said she is still like that little bird - she needs things but she doesn't make much noise. She may not always say she appreciates it but I know she gets what she needs and is usually satisfied. But then I was telling D I thought he was more of a Vulture Baby...I don't even know what they are like but that was as grand as my head could think. He laughed and said that sadly to say I was pretty right. He constantly is Needing something from me. He doesn't have a license yet so he needs a ride here and then picked up from there. He needs money for a new guitar pedal or he makes that cute face and asks me for some kind of airsoft gun supplies that he plays with his friends. He needs 4 pizza's and mountain dew to take to Band Practice with the guys. As I dropped him off at band practice yesterday he hollard to me "I'll call you to pick me up when we are done..." I looked at him and threw my head back and opening my mouth huge - he got the picture...

In case you were wondering why the picture above is not my personal photo. Well, there was a sad ending to the baby Robin story. Yesterday morning I thought that I would go take a picture of the bushy little baby bird. When I peaked into the nest.....No Bird.... I know that is like the Worst way to end a blog post huh?? But hey kids - that is Life - get use to it!! Have a great day!!

No comments: