Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dreaming of Goofy.....


(someday I hope to have a picture like this...)

In 2006 I ran my first half marathon and then in 2007 I ran 2 more as well as several 5K, 10K and other races. The fall of 2007 I decided to go back to college and so ended my running career. I LOVED running while I was doing it and I really miss everything that goes with it - especially the Medals!! From my very first run I had my mind set on another race - The Ultimate Medal (well atleast for me). The Goofy Medal....sigh....I have been dreaming about that medal for years.

The only way to earn a Goofy Medal is to be completely insane. The race is run at Disneyworld. On Saturday you run a Half Marathon (13.1 miles) through Magic Kingdom and Epcot. When you finish you receive a Donald Duck Medal. The next day they have the Full Marathon (26.2 miles). It is run through all 4 parks. In this race you receive a Mickey Mouse Medal. To receive the Goofy medal you have to run both - back to back. Yep - in one weekend you run a total of 39.3 miles - thus the word Goofy!!

Well, this dream has surfaced again while my niece and her family have been here visiting me. She ran my first Half Marathon with me and she didn't quit, even though she is a teacher and has recently adopted a little boy. She ran her first Full Marathon in Dallas this year. Well, this crazy girl has now signed up for the Goofy in January...She is my new Hero!!

Even the thought of running a Full seems crazy to me. But if you were ever to do it Disneyworld would be the place. How awesome would it be to be on mile 22, ready to puke and not be able to feel your feet (except the knowledge of how the outer sides feel like ground beef) but to look over and Prince Charming was cheering you on?....sigh....At that point all you really want from Prince Charming is some Vasaline to rub under your armpits so the chaffing will finally cease...

I'm wondering if a Donald would make me happy? - Would I get home and see Donald everyday and think WHY OH WHY....Why couldn't I have been good enough to have Mickey staring back at me?? I mean Mickey has the Ears.... Now a Mickey would be Incredible!! But that means I have 6 months, actually 183 days...Could I train for a Full Marathon in that amount of time. Sometimes I think my dreams are just crazy. Do I set myself up for disappointment? Hmmm, Well maybe I should just send my own Prince Charming to Sam's to load up on Vasaline just in case.......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That race sounds like fun you should do it!