Tuesday, July 27, 2010

better manager of my time....


Time, originally uploaded by pieceofheaven.

I dream about being a better manager of my time. I am so easily distracted. I start out my day with great intentions. I make lists and goals and really believe that I am capable of accomplishing everything on my list. Not only that I believe that I will have extra time to sit in my comfy chair with a good book and a glass of fresh squeezed lemonade.

And then the reality of my day.... I look at my list and think well before I start I'll go ahead and exercise in case it gets too hot. So when I get done with that I think to myself well I really should just go ahead and get my shower so that is out of the way. While I am in my closet getting my clothes I start to look around and think I should collect all the empty hangers and take them to the laundry room. As I do that I realize alot of the clothes in there should go to good will. So I start taking them off the hanger and putting them in a pile. Then I go into the kitchen to get a garbage bag to put them in and I see the dishwasher needs emptied and reloaded. Well, I'll go ahead and get that done so the dishes can get washing. Well, I might as well get the counters cleaned because a clean kitchen will give me incentive to get the rest of my stuff done. I go to put some stuff in the fridge and decide that it would be a good idea to put something in the crock-pot for supper. I have to get something out of the freezer and defrost it because nothing is thawed. By the time veggies are cut up and the crock-pot is full I look at the clock and see that it's lunch time and I am exhausted. So I pull some stuff out of the fridge for lunch and go downstairs to eat lunch and watch mindless TV for a bit. Well - an hour later I think that it is about time to finally get to my list which involves doing bookwork in the office. So I go in the office and see that my desk is a mess. Of course I think that if I clean up my desk first than I will be able to work better. So, I set out clearing and filing papers. As I open the insurance folders I see that alot of that stuff is out of date. So I figure I might as well get those reorganized. Well, of course since I am at the desk I will just check my Facebook for a minute. Well of course that wastes another hour. I decide to go ahead and get a load of laundry put in while I am working in the office. I go in there and SOMEONE had left a load in the washer since who knows when - I sniff and then gag a little - and then rewash it. I open the dryer and there are clothes in there so I take them in the living room to fold them "real quick". I turn on the TV and see that Oprah is on. As the show is over the phone rings and Rob tells me he is on his way home and needs a ride somewhere. I remember the hangers and go upstairs. I look around and there are dishes everywhere on the counter from making supper and my lunch. I go into my closet and remember the good will clothes all over the floor as well as 3 dozen hangers. I grab the hangers and go to take them downstairs and see my lunch dishes and the unfolded laundry. I step into the office to turn off the lights and see the floor and desk covered in open / unorganized folders everywhere. So I shut all the doors and go back up stairs. Throw the dishes in the sink and push the pile of clothes in the back of my closet. Rob walks in the door and as we go to leave he asks me what I did today... I see my list sitting on the kitchen counter - with not one thing crossed off.....as I go to give him answer all I can say is...oh I just worked around the house....maybe tomorrow I'll work on that list...

No comments: