Thursday, September 23, 2010

being an aunt.....

Lexie and Max <3

McKenna doing her "homework" <3
Yesterday my niece Amy and I had a nice visit. We talked about the fact that while she and my other nieces an nephews around her age were growing up I really never felt like an Aunt. I am not that much older than them so I always felt like more of the big sister. Once I did get older I got married and then MY life began so I sort of missed out on chunks of their lives. When I moved to Wisconsin I attempted to stay close...I tried to send gifts for bithdays and stuff. But if you are my friend on Facebook you will know that I have a Post Office Phobia that I am still working through...LOL... I do remember one particular birthday while I worked at a clothing place called Bostwicks....Amy's birthday was coming up and I kept seeing all these adorable clothes that I was sure she would look amazing in. Finally after changing my mind umpteen times I decided on an outfit, boxed it up and sent it on it's way. It's funny because even after all these years the thought of this makes me want to cringe....LOL...I have wanted to bring it up so many times but I didn't know if I was strong enough to handle what their response was....I always think to myself....Linda, what they heck were you thinking??????...I sent Amy this one piece black full body unitard thing...and surely something else with it but the unitard thingy the main  cause of my anxiety....Honestly Linda???? A Unitard??? I don't know - maybe I was thinking about her love for gymnastics and she would appreciate spandex...I remember the day they arrived at the store, I was helping stage the doors of the dressing rooms. I pulled them out and wondered who in the heck could ever fit into something like that and I remember thinking - Amy!! And then I hung it on a hanger and probably put a sweater around the neck of it - 80's style...When I was looking for a gift my mind just kept coming back to that stupid unitard and in a week moment I caved and that is the gift my teenage niece received...I'm sure after this post we will laugh about it - maybe they won't even remember it....but sadly I have a pretty good feeling that they will.

Well now that the first wave of nieces and nephews are grown and have children of their own I feel like I can finally be an Aunt. But as the before mentioned Post Office Phobia is in full effect I find I do most of my Aunting in person. Which has been great since I have been to Texas so much lately and the fact that I have had multiple visits from them this last year. But not so good those  neices and nephews that don't live in the direct vacinity of my visits....Okay - that is the guilt part - I wish I could be involved and active in all their lives....I truly do!!!! They are all part of me...part of my past...part of who I am....sigh....

But yesterday was good for me in the Aunt department. When it was time to pick Amy's girls up from school I was excited to surprise them. McKenna is 8 and Lexie is 6. (not 7&5 like I posted first - but was corrected by Aunt Debbie - it's a good thing she is here to take care of things while I'm away....whew...) They both share Sept. 11th birtdays and are just as sweet as can be. Carla and I stood outside Lexie's classroom and McKenna and Amy were walking toward us (Amy had taken 2 of their 13 puppies for show and tell - mix of Boxer, Lab and St. Bernard - CUTE) She had her head down and I stepped in front of her and bent down - she SQUEALED and wrapped her arms around my neck..."Aunt Linda - what are you doing here???" Priceless!! Then as Lexie was walking out of her room she looked right at me and held up a tote bag with the name MAX on the side. (Max is a stuffed animal that they get to take turns bringing home)..."Aunt Linda - I get to bring Max Home!!!!!!" and then she gave me a Big hug. I guess it does make me feel good that even though I live in Wisconsin I am around them enough that it is not uncommon to see me. As we left the school I was holding her hand and she looked up and told me..."it's a Great Day!! - I have Max AND Aunt Linda!!" And people would wonder why I would drop things and fly to Texas in a minute...I need this stuff - My cup is filling with every hug!!!!!  Later that evening the girls and I cuddled on the couch to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks - the Squeakwell....McKenna started giving me a massage (which I am not kidding when I say she is REALLY good at and will do it for a LONG time...heaven) and then Lexie came out with the Hair supplies - which is her specialty. So as I lay on the couch getting my massage Lexie is putting tiny ponytails all over my head. I think I ended up with 13 she said. She kept explaining  of all the wonderful braids and things she could do if only my hair wasn't so short...LOL....Next McKenna came out with her tea cart. She had cut of apple slices (no pealings) laid out on a nice plate with chocolate sauce drizzled over them and another small glass bowl for dipping. And then a coffee cup of water...So we all shared our apples and watched the rest of our movie..

What a wonderful day.....(well wonderful until I slipped down 17 wooden steps before bed...OUCH!! That was quite a show though. I am very fortuanate that I wasn't hurt worse than some bruises and a sore body. I am not quite as young as a used to be...LOL!) But it was a wonderful day - even with that - I am laying in bed at my sister Carla's house...one day soon I will blog about my sisters...I have wanted to for so long but I want to do it right...I want you all to know what a blessing they are in my life...But right now I just want to savor moment by moment...I have the ability to get overwhelmed but I don't want to do that. I want to enjoy and savor this week and all the joys it will bring....

Today I dream for you a cup filler....if you don't understand that concept read my previous blog on this...

http://thebeautyofadreamer.blogspot.com/2010/07/full-cup.html

But find a way to be filled so that you can have the energy to give and serve and not be overwhelmed...

Have a full day my friend!!!

 So I feel like I missed out on all the joys of being an "aunt".

3 comments:

DebDrury said...

Reading this at work and crying with tears of joy. We are so incredibly blessed with the family God has given us. There is nothing on this earth that is better family. Money, things, power, jobs ect... are nothing when compared to the love of a family. I sometimes get sucked into this world of stuff and the love of my family always brings my priorities back in order. Without God and my family I am nothing.

Linda Jo said...

Debbie - do you ever wonder how we are where we are??? I mean with everything in our lives...you guys especially...I am so grateful that we can see the blessings he has given us. It breaks my heart to think of the direction life could have taken...I am thankful every day!! Love You Sister!!!

Unknown said...

From Incourage :) I want to see pictures of all the tiny ponytails!
What a great trip for you.