Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Glory to God.....


this was in the door of one of the homes
I was photographing
for a builder
 This week as I was visiting my sister's church in Texas our Sunday School lesson was about the word Glory and what it meant to us. Several people threw out words like bright, praise, honor, adoration and my favorite from my niece....with eyes turned upwards and hands up stretched she sings....AHHHHHH!!!..... And then some talked about how Moses asked God to show him His Glory. The teacher talked about how for many years this term had always caused him some confusion and I would have to agree it is a hard concept to wrap your head around. That afternoon I decided to look up the definition and this is a partial list of what I found....

***glo·ry   –   noun

1. very great praise, honor, or distinction bestowed by common consent; renown: to win glory on the field of battle.

2. something that is a source of honor, fame, or admiration; a distinguished ornament or an object of pride: a sonnet that is one of the glories of English poetry.

3. adoring praise or worshipful thanksgiving: Give glory to god.
 
As I had sat there and listened a conversation entered my head that I have had with my children since they were very young. I have always asked them a question when we were visiting somewhere or they were spending the night at someone else's home...(mainly Grandma and Granpa's)...As we arrived at our destination and they were getting out of the car I would stop them and say..."so, what is your purpose in life??...." and they would quickly respond..."to make you look good...." It has always been said in somewhat of a humorous tone and yet deep down through the years they have realized the true meaning behind my words. In fact if you were to ask either of my children today at ages 18 and 15 the same question they would answer the same way without missing a beat..LOL..
 
The more we discussed what it means to give glory to God I just kept coming back to this vision in my head. For me there is no greater blessing in being a parent than to be given the opportunity to use that relationship to understand His love for us. Parenting my children gives me a small glimpse into the kind of life that he desires for us...I relate to Him when my children are hurt or sick...when they are disobedient.....angry with me...when I see them thankful for things I do for them or gifts that I give them..how my heart swells when they are using their gifts and talents....or when they are serving others....So many times throughout my life I have watched my children's actions and wonder how I have mimicked those in my relationship to God...the good ones as well as the bad. I have taught my children that their actions are a direct reflection on the parenting that I have given them. They know that when I say those words that in reality I am saying..."what have I taught you?.... now do it..." That means use your manners, be respectful and be helpful and kind.

But as it seems that I am saying it is ultimately about me in reality that is not the case. My ultimate desire is that their life is a strong fulfilled life. While they are young I am their main example. I always picture a momma duck with all of her babies following neatly in a row behind her. She is leading them by example how to live and survive in this world.

So throughout the class I tried to figure out how this related to the topic of glory. I told God that I don't do the things that I do for my kids because I want their praise and adoration....and then I felt Him reply to me...."Do you think that I do?....".....hhmmmm...wow....No, I don't think that is why He does it but He does deserve it.....I began to think about the way I am thankful to Him for the gifts that He gives....for the life that He has blessed me with...for the World He created for me....I give Him adoration and praise for who He is and His position in my life. I give Him glory because He is worthy of glory. As a parent my desire is to be worthy of my children's adoration and praise. I don't want them to do what is right out of fear of me...I want it to come from a place of a desire to do what is right. I want them to want to make me proud while in the meantime learn the satisfaction and fulfillment that comes from doing those actions.

God is not physically here on Earth but what the world sees is Him living through us - so how do we allow Him to do that? Do we make Him proud? Just like with our kids - sometimes Yes and sometimes No...but it doesn't change His Love for us and His desire to continue to teach and direct us.

Today I dream for you the chance to give Him Glory today - not for what He has done for you but for who He is to you...If you find it difficult may I suggest that you take a look at His placement in your life...Is He seated in the position that He deserves??? If you can't find it within yourself to give Him adoration or praise than I challenge you to look within your life to see if you are following His lead???

Have a Glorious Day my friends......

No comments: