Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Voting booth


Voting booth, originally uploaded by pieceofheaven.
Yesterday our country voted.....and although I know that there was alot of division, I am positive that there was one unanimous celebration at the end of the night....The fact that we now have a break from the insane amount of political ads on tv and the obsessive computerized phone calls and the waste of paper products filling my mailbox....Praise the LORD!!

I just really wonder if they really think that all of that junk works....All of the back stabbing commercials....Really?? What worries me most is that the people that want to run our country believe that that kind of behavior is okay....

As I would sit and watch 4 political commercials in a row I began to feel like I am standing on a playground with a group of 7 year olds.......

.....Well.......He did this.......and He said that.....and He told me he was going to do this and he never did.....He is a LIAR!!
And then we ask them what they did all we hear is....

.......I didn't do ANYTHING wrong!!!!....
The other thing that I thought that was soooo Hilarious is that they believe that just because we are rural midwesterners we are really going to base our voting on the guy if he is wearing a PLAID FLANNEL SHIRT!!!.......Really????? I just wonder what the commercials were like for the rest of the country.....One night we sat through the commercials and I am not kidding that 4 out of 4 of the politicians had on plaid flannel shirts....I am pretty sure that the wasn’t the same dress attire playing on a Los Angeles television set….

I realize that this morning there are many people that aren't happy with the outcome. But what the election did show us is that people want to shake things up....I actually heard a guy that when he went to vote he was only voting for the people that he didn't recognize their names.........now while I thought that was humorous I also think that is the stupidest thing ever!!! Honestly????.....

While we may not live in a perfect country I can't imagine one better....The fact that we did get to spend yesterday trying to make a difference in our country....I just saw a news report where in another country a woman was being beheaded for adultery......Can you Imagine??? I could sit here and tell you all kinds of reasons that we are fortunate to live here but we all really know......

I know there are people that chose not to vote yesterday....they were rebelling against the advertising.....they felt that it really wasn't going to make a difference anyway….It’s not like I don’t get it because I do, but when I watched the map change from Blue to Red last night I just thought..........that only happened because People spoke......People got out there and took advantage of their American Rights........You have to admit right or wrong in your opinion People made changes yesterday…..

I work at the polling station in our small country townhouse....We have a whopping total of 327 registered voters (talk about wondering if you make a difference…).......We get there at 6 am and hopefully they turned the furnace on...While we are getting things set up one of the workers goes and puts out the flag and then at 7 am the chair person walks outside and yells into the darkness and to mostly the cows..."Here Ye Here Ye the polls are now open...."

Yesterday we were busier than I think we have ever been since I have started working. Some people come in and don't say anything....Some come in and talk about the weather or about who is building the new house up on top of the ridge.....But there are always some that come in boasting about what a wonderful country that we live in that we get this opportunity........There was one gentleman that barged in with such a ruckus that we all jumped....."WHAT A WONDERFUL DAY!!!! WHAT A WONDERFUL PLACE TO LIVE.....!!!” I honestly don’t care how that man voted….that’s not what this is about…. I am just so honored that I was able to be sitting there while he was able to cast his vote.

And then there are the elderly people that I watch through the years...with each election they get slower and slower and it's harder for them to get out but they are there…Husbands holding the arm of their wife…the one woman who is blind that needs assistance but she is there Every time.....These people KNOW the significance of what they are doing.....(I guess maybe when they give up then I can too).....They have lived through things that I can't imagine and they know the importance of what it means to step behind that red, white and blue curtain and then drop their papers in ballot box.....
********************
Today I dream for you..........the realization that whether or not the person you voted for is going to occupy that office - GIVE THANKS!!!! Be thankful that you have a country that you have a choice!!!! I have had several friends that commented today that they would rather live in a different country than be under the leadership of Republicans/Democrats. Although I understand the offhand remarks like that it just makes me think...........It's like I would tell my kids when they would say that it's not fair because their friends got to do something they didn't.......
"Okay, you think it's better there????......Go ahead.....you go live with them, let their parents parent you and maybe that will make you grateful for what you have here.........it may not be perfect.....but let me tell you buddy (or missy) - you have it pretty darn good here!!!"

I think we all need that reminder……Maybe I will just put that quote up on my fridge for me – I think I could use that kick in the butt in a lot of situations……..

Have a great day enjoying your freedoms friends!!

2 comments:

Susan said...

All I have to say Linda...is "AMEN"! What a privilege it is to vote. And to worship. And so many other things that we take for granted each and every day.

DebDrury said...

GOD BLESS AMERICA, the land that I love!!!